Oral Hygiene Services – Omaha, NE
Routine oral hygiene checkups are key when it comes to taking care of your teeth and gums. Regular dental care is vital in good oral hygiene and ultimately your overall health. Paul Krause Dental in Omaha offers preventative examinations and our oral hygienists are able to diagnose issues before they become too serve. When you come in for your routine check-up, we will look out for developing issues and provide any information when it comes to keeping your teeth clean and healthy.
Regular hygiene checkups should take place every six months, to make sure everything is in great shape and gives us the ability to take care of any occuring issues such as cavities or gum disease.
During your appointment you can expect;
- Evaluate oral health
- Remove stains
- Polish teeth
We’re here to provide you with any advice to better your at-home oral care as well!
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. During regular check up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays: essential for detection of decay, cysts, and bone loss
- Oral cancer screening
- Gum disease evaluation: check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease
- Examination of tooth decay: all tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments
- Examination of existing restorations: check current fillings, crowns, implants, partials, and dentures
Scheduled Dental Cleaning
Professional dental cleanings, performed by our hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam, and the following:
- Removal of tartar: tartar, or calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now attached to the tooth surface. Tartar forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: plaque is a sticky film that forms on the teeth. Plaque is formed by living bacteria, food debris. The bacteria produces toxins that inflame the gums, and cause cavities. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease.
- Teeth polishing: remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
A beautiful, healthy smile that lasts a lifetime is our ultimate goal when treating our Omaha patients. Your personal home care plays an important part in helping us achieve our goal. Proper diet and personal hygiene help control the plaque and bacteria that can cause dental disease.
- Tooth brushing, at least twice a day, especially at night.
- Flossing daily is the best way to clean between the teeth and under the gum line. Flossing not only helps clean these spaces, it removes plaque build-up, preventing damage to the gums, teeth, and bone. Flossing is also important in preventing heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Rinsing is important to do after brushing, and also after meals if you are unable to brush.
We also offer a prescription toothpaste with a high concentration of fluoride to help prevent recurrent cavities around existing fillings and crowns. There are many personal options that can help your teeth last longer and shine their brightest and we’re always available for consultation.
Dental radiographs (x-rays) are essential, preventative, diagnostic tools that provide valuable information not visible during a regular dental exam. Our highly trained staff at Paul Krause Dental use the information to accurately detect hidden dental abnormalities and complete an accurate treatment plan. Without x-rays, problem areas my go undetected.
Dental X-rays may reveal:
- Abscesses or cysts
- Bone loss
- Decay between teeth
Tooth Decay Prevention
Tooth decay is more common than we think. Many people don’t realize this until their dentist tells them they have a cavity or infection. When decay is left alone, it can result in toothaches, gum swelling, and even discoloration on teeth. To help fight tooth decay, it’s very important to keep up with regular checkups and remember to practice good oral hygiene at home.